Finnish Shortbread Sticks Recipe
Sep 24, 2021
Baking holds a special place in my heart, especially when it comes to pairing a homemade cookie with my Monday 10 o'clock coffee ritual. Today, I'm excited to share one of my favorite recipes, the "Finnish Sticks" shortbread cookie. Infused with the delicate essence of bitter almond and adorned with a satisfyingly crunchy topping, this cookie is a delightful treat that's both simple and indulgent.
Let's dive into the joy of baking with my shortcut-friendly recipe:
For the Dough:
- 60g blanched and ground almonds (or almond flour)
- 1ml bitter almond oil (or 3 whole bitter almonds)
- 120g flour
- 45g sugar
- 100g butter
- Pinch of salt
For the Topping:
- 30g chopped almonds (blanched if preferred)
- 1 egg white
- 2 tbsp pearl sugar
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the almonds (or almond oil), flour, sugar, and a pinch of salt.
- Add the butter in pieces and work the ingredients into a dough. Allow the dough to rest in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Split the dough into four pieces and shape them into 12-inch rolls. Place the rolls on a tray lined with parchment paper.
- Whisk the egg white and generously cover the rolls. Sprinkle the rolls with a mixture of pearl sugar and chopped almonds.
- Cut the rolls into 1.5-inch cookies and bake in the preheated oven for 12 minutes.
- Allow the cookies to cool on a rack.
Note: I've occasionally skipped the almonds in the dough and skipped the dough-resting step without compromising the outcome. Feel free to adapt based on your preferences. If the dough seems a bit dry, add a teaspoon of water at a time until it comes together.
This "Finnish Sticks" recipe is a testament to the joy of baking, and it's my pleasure to share it with you. So, let's bake and savor the simple pleasures that come with every delicious bite!